Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Word Study Wednesday: Fear

Psalm 46:1, 2: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea..."

My Take
Today's news is full of fearful things: swine flu, tanked economy, food shortages, severe weather, terrorism, and the list continues. It is understandable if people live in fear. But we as Christians are called to live a life a faith, not fear. I'm probably the last person who should be talking about this as I tend to turn to fear first before faith, but I'm learning.

God is our hiding place, our shelter for when we are weary. God is strong for us and is always there for us. He is our Father and we are His children. No verses illustrate this point more than Luke 22:42 - 44:

"'Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.' 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him (emphasis: mine). 44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground."

As a disciple of Christ, we are to follow His example. In this case, when Jesus felt anguish, He prayed to His heavenly Father - our heavenly Father.

This is our chance, as Christians, to let others see God in us. When you feel weak or tired, seek the Lord - He will strengthen you. Even if the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the sea.

Update: After posting, I remembered a quote I wanted to add here. I'm not sure who said it, but if someone does, please let me know. "Fear is to Satan what faith is to God."

4 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Amen. I am trying to write about fear now so I love your post. Your blog often goes right along with what the Lord is talking to me about. Hmmmm. Could it be...THE SPIRIT?? :0) Great post, great blog Jo. And we missed you last night.

Joanna said...

Maybe it is the SPIRIT - funny how he works in mysterious ways.

I missed y'all last night as well.

Just Me said...

Joey, You really should write a daily devotional book. Your posts are the perfect size to start a day with and would give a person a boost to make it through the day in this insano world.


To go along with your post, I had a recent "well, duh!" moment when it comes to fear and faith. I'm terrified of heights. Ok no biggie.. 3/4 of the world is terrified of heights. However, driving over those really tall over passes or bridges has always made me white knuckled. The other day, white knuckled and all clenched up... I heard "Fear is not from God." I thought, "well, duh!" I've known that all my life, yet I let stupid fear block that knowledge. So now, anytime I'm feeling scared, I simply chant to myself... "Fear is not from God." which reminds me who (or I would rather say "what" when speaking of the evil one) places fear in our paths. The evil one has no dominion over me, therefore it cannot place fear in my path!

Joanna said...

Thanks for the compliment, Melyssa. I'm now thinking about writing devos.

I love the "well, duh!" moments. It reminds me that I constantly need God. "Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world."