Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Word Study: Temple of God

I Corinthians 3:16 - 17: "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple."

This is one of my memory verses from earlier this year. I used it to remind myself not to be so gluttonous. Let's just say I've lost focus a few times. Of course, this verse can apply to anything that may damage the body, which goes against God's will. We are His creation, made in His image. And now that we've been sanctified through the blood of Christ, we are sacred. Our actions should reflect the character of Christ.

I know I look at my ways and sometimes feel overwhelmed with the task of controlling them. The good news though is that the Spirit of God dwells within me and when I focus on Him, then I have self-control, since it is a fruit of the Spirit.

Why is it important for me to remember that the Spirit of the Lord lives in me? Because I am to be the salt of the earth, an example of God's love, grace, and redemption. If I'm living according to my own desires, then what difference will the world see? Why would they want to follow God if I'm still a slave to my own desires? Also, knowing that the Spirit of the Lord lives in me reminds me of the sacrifice made for my life and how sacred that sacrifice was.

No comments: