Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Me, a Hypocrite?

One of the harder parts of being a parent is constantly setting an example for my children to follow. I find the things I'm constantly asking my children to do are areas I have difficulty in myself. Let me give you an example - cleaning. One day my husband told my oldest to clean her room. When he went to check the room, he walked to her closet. She panicked and said "You didn't say I had to clean my closet!" It turns out she threw her belongings onto the closet floor. Any guesses as to who taught her that little trick?

Cleaning is just one example. I'm more concerned with those areas that truly matter in the end, like loving others, showing mercy, and practicing discipline. I'll admit, I have a bit of guilt with this because I feel like a hypocrite. How can I tell my kids to do something when I can't even do it correctly? It's easy to say "Do as I say, not as I do," but isn't that just an excuse used to justify my actions?

Thankfully, our Heavenly Father is not a hypocrite. He sent His Son to show us how to live. Not tell us, but show us. He said to love our enemies and then He prayed for the people crucifying Him. He said to love the Lord your God with everything we have. He did by praying to His Father everyday and obeying Him by completing His work on earth. He said no greater love existed than for one to die for his friends. He died for us so that we may be saved. Whatever Jesus preached, He did.

The good news is there is no condemnation for those in Christ (Romans 8:1). It doesn't mean I can keep living this way, but it does offer me grace and another chance to live by the Spirit.

No comments: