Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What's My Obstacle?

A very close friend of mine e-mailed me last week. At the end of the note, she asked "What are your obstacles to writing your book today?" Great question!

I've been pondering this all week. The biggest obstacle I've encountered so far is noise. Not so much external noise, but more like internal noise. Before you ask, no, I'm not one of those people who hears voices in her head. I'm talking about the self-talk. The voice listing everything I have to do, reminding me of the things I have not done, expressing concern about my children (does Princess have too much attitude? Will I ever be able to potty-train Little Guy?), and nagging me constantly ("you should me exercising." "You should be writing."). My response has been to shut down and not in a good way.

Another obstacle is fear. Is my idea for my book a good one? Will people want to read it? I will say that having a blog has helped me conquer some of my fear. It's not completely gone, but it also does not have the stronghold it once had over me.

The solution to my obstacles is to obviously be quiet and know that He is God (see Psalm 46;10). He has plans for me and my desire to serve Him will help me overcome these challenges. Again, it comes down to focusing on Him and not myself.

What are your obstacles in accomplishing what you want to do?

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Pretty much the same things you listed, my friend. School assignment is due, I should be exercising, the trash needs to be taken out, there are 250 email work messages that need to be answered, the dog needs to go to the vet, the oil change for the car is 2 months over due, and the list just goes on.

I feel the "quiet" you mention in Psalms when I'm taking pictures, so I know where I need to get :).

I'm sure your book idea is a good one or it wouldn't have been given to you. Let's bring back the old Nike ad... Just Do it, Jo!!

Denise Miller Holmes said...

I think if a person can get over the fears, inner conflict, setting a schedule makes a profound difference. Writing is work. There are many others things we would like to do other than work. So setting a schedule has helped me tremendously.