Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Word Study Wednesday: Disciple

Today (and for the next one or two Word study posts), I would like to focus on what it means to be a disciple of Christ. I'm not only sharing this information with you, but I'm also learning it myself. I am not coming from a place of "expert," but rather as a friend sharing what I've learned. I want to hear your opinion as well. That's the point of this blog.

Being a disciple is more than accepting Christ as your Lord and Savior. The definition of disciple is "a learner; a pupil* (which is why the twelve men who followed Jesus were called "disciples"). They were learning from the Master on how to live a Christ-like life. Notice the definition does not say "one who has been taught" or "graduate." The definition implies a current existence. As a disciple, we are continually learning how to be like Jesus.

So, how can we be like Christ? One way is to love each other. Jesus says in John 13:34 - 35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Let's look at how he loved us. In John 3:16, Jesus says: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." He came to die for us so that we may gain eternal life. I cannot think of a better example of love. Jesus showed love to everyone, the leper, the adulteress, the tax collector, and those who wanted to kill Him. Even as the soldiers nailed Him to the cross, He prayed for them (Luke 23:34).

I am by no means perfect in this area. I too quickly speak words of hatred (it shames me to write that) towards those I may dislike (politicians come to mind - just as an example). If I want to be like Christ, I need to exhibit love towards those people. How? I can pray for them and pray for myself that God will show me how to love them. I can also keep my mouth shut.

What about you? What can you do to love others, even those who seem unlovable?

Next week: Abiding in Him

*Strong's Exhaustive Concordance: Greek Dictionary (3101 mathetes (pronounced math-ay-tes))

3 comments:

smithsk said...

Good write. I don't have loving thoughts either, especially those I perceive will do harm.
You hit the most important area - love. Jesus said, if you love me, keep my commandments. Look forward to more. Susan

Robbie Iobst said...

Amen Jo! Putting love into action or inaction as in keeping your mouth shut :0) is probably the most vital and difficult part of being a disciple.

I also loved that you pointed out it's a continual process. I needed to be reminded today to SEEK Him, and not be complacent or stagnant. Thanks!

Denise Miller Holmes said...

Thought-provoking post. God has definitely tested me in this area. He's put me in situations where someone was being just plain mean and told me to speak kindly back. It was like being thrown into the ocean in the middle of a hurricane and being told to swim.
How well did I do? Not bad, but I could have done better. And since then, He constantly reminds me "remember to be kind."
Hard lesson that I'm still trying to put into practice.
Thanks Jo!
Denise Miller Holmes, www.redhotread.com
Denver Christian Perspectives Examiner (examiner.com/denver)