Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Finally Settled and Chasing Discipline

Boxes are unpacked and items are put away - finally! Our house is looking more like a home now. This move has been an enlightening experience and I admit to feeling overwhelmed a few times.

The need for discpline has hit me again. By nature, I procrastinate. I set things aside and tell myself I will handle them later. This is not news to me. As we cleaned closets, drawers, and cabinets before putting our home on the market, I realized how my procrastination has spun out of control. Several times I wanted to quit and melt into a puddle instead of dealing with the mountain of junk. If I had been disciplined in dealing with my stuff at the time, instead of putting it aside, I wouldn't have stressed myself out (moving is stressful enough without adding to it).

This past year has been a lesson in discipline and how I lack it. I'll be honest - my undisciplined life has led me to unhappiness and unnecessary stress. My lack of discipline with eating and exercise has led me to being overweight and lacking energy. My lack of discipline in managing my household has led to a cluttered home offering no respite from the world, but only more stress. The worst part is, my lack of discipline not only affects me, but my family as well.

Hebrews 12:11 says: "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." (ESV) I admit I do not like exercising and I do not like cleaning. But I know if I do these things then I will be healthy and my home will be a comfortable home, offering rest not stress.

Discipline is not elusive, but rather challenging since it requires discpline to practice discipline. So here is my action plan - pray, pray, pray. If the Lord wants me to have discipline, then I will have it. All it requires on my part is a daily surrender of my self and faith in Him.

Are there any areas in your life requiring discipline? Or, are you one of those who practices discipline? If so, could you share some of your ideas and tips to help those of us lacking discipline?

No comments: